Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Joe's Oat Patties

Image Source

Joe's Oat Patties

Okay, today I am going to go a little hippie on my readers.  I am going to tell you about a meatless patty.... WAIT WAIT!! DON'T LEAVE THAT QUICK!!  For all you non-health nuts and cupcake makers I promise you they are good.  I am no yoga, tree-hugging, all natural clothing, vegan, hemp clothing, dreadlock hair, etc type guy.  I like my leather shoes, cotton/rayon clothing, dairy products, showers, hunting and the occasional piece of dead animal flesh.

So I picked up a few of these oat patties at Whole Foods the other day to try out.  Bonnie is not a big meat eater so I figured she may like them.  Most of the meatless (cough horrible) patties I have tried tasted like cardboard.  Actually.. that is unfair to seriously unfair to cardboard which would taste must better than those other patties if you added some salt. These patties are different. These are SERIOUSLY good. 

The Curry Lentil and Island Jerk were awesome!  The BBQ and Taco flavored patties was good.  The Spicy Hot was good but too spicy and hot (and I love spicy and hot).  I have not tried the other flavors yet.  I really want to try the seafood flavored patties.

Making these patties is easy as heck.  Just dump the contents into a bowl.  Boil some chicken/beef broth (or just water if you are a hippie) and pour over the oats.  Then do NOTHING.  Don't stir. Don't look at them. Just walk away and do some yoga and recycling for 10 minutes.  When you get done with your downward dogs, heat up a pan with some oil.  Form the oats into patties.  Then place them into the pan for about 2-3 minutes on each side.  Cook until golden brown and delirious.  These are seriously Good Eats.

You can find these at Whole Foods Markets or online at Joe's Oat Patties.

10 comments:

  1. Next time I'm anywhere near a Wholefoods, I'm trying these out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could use vegetable broth to keep them meatless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tri-James: Veggie broth would work. But chicken broth tastes better in my option.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that they are so easy to make! I think I'd try the Island Jerk. I'll be on the lookout next time I go to Whole Foods (love that place).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't EVER post about a meatless patty again or I'm leaving for good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha "Just walk away and do some yoga and recycling for 10 minutes."

    So funny! Too bad there are no 'Whole Foods' shops in my area, but I'll check them out online :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Quinton J: Holy Cow you do exist? I had a blog with you missing on a milk carton? Did you see it. I miss your blog. Why did you take it down?

    @Heather - My favorite is the Curry Lentil.

    @Anna - I thought you would have cupcake joke. It was directed towards you. :-)

    @Ann - You should they are pretty good.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Found your blog while looking for recycling locations....too funny! Love the post and the previous ones....looks like you have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Tri Benchwarmner - Thanks for stopping by even if it was by accident. I'm always glad to see someone new. What are you training for?

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete