Monday 45 min swimming (Morning )
1hr Chest (Lunch)
Tuesday 1hr Back
Wednesday 1hr Swim
Thursday 1hr ABS
Saturday 62 miles cycling followed by a 13.1 mile run
On Saturday I nearly did a half ironman brick. I was able to do everything but the swim portion. I cycled about 62 mile and ran 13.1 miles. The problem was I did it in the hills of Cleremont and in the middle of the FL heat. Running in those hills is great training but brutal! So what did I learn:
- Running after 62 miles cycling hurts to high heaven. It's a pain you can not describe
- Crying was considered
- The pain goes away after 2 miles running
- The pain comes back after 8 miles running
- The pain comes back the next day
- Advil helps
- No matter how much you yell at your legs at some point they will not obey.
- Cleremont hills suck
- The reason the first portion of the run was nice because it was all down hill
- The hills never stopped going up on the last portion of the run
- Florida heat sucks
- I am moving to Alaska or Siberia.
- Doing a mini HIM by yourself sucks
- Cheering crowds help a ton
- I have NO interest in training for an full Ironman (don't quote me on that)
- I love my camelback (Ultimate Direction Wasp) Buy on now.
- You drink A TON of water in Florida heat (128 ounces on the bike & 2 liters on the run)
- Sunscreen is a must
- Reapplying sunscreen is a must
- I love my cycling glasses for both running and cycling (Smith Pivlock V90)
- When a cyclist says it is 1 mile till the next water stop multiple that number by 5.
- When a running says it is 5.21 miles till the next water stop, you can be damn sure they know what they are talking about
- Many cyclists have egos. When they show off by saying they have 7 more miles to ride, you can crush that ego by saying you have 13.1 miles to run. Rock beats paper. Run beats Bike
- GUs are great
- GUs suck
- All GUs taste the same after you have had over 7 of them.
- That GU taste NEVER goes away
- A cold shower is a gift from God.
- The shower can never get cold enough
- A man running in Florida heat in a dress polo shirt and long cargo pants
- A women running in Florida heat in black cotton capris, black cotton shirt and no water
- A women cycling in Florida heat in black cotton capris, black cotton shirt and a black winter vest jacket.
- Several pieces of discarded women's clothing (Socks, shorts, shirt & underwear). Strange?!
- At mile 6 of the running several Indians were having what appeared to be a rave. Their music could be heard for about 2 miles. They were all dressed up and had colored baby powder thrown on them with their face panted. All they needed were some glow sticks and pacifiers. They stated it was a celebration of spring but I don't buy it.