Thursday, January 2, 2014

2013 Year In Review

2013 Year In Review

About this time every year I like to look back on what I have accomplished athletically because it is so easy for me to forget.

At the beginning of 2009 I could not run to the car (nor would I have wanted to). I hated running. I thought a 10 mile bike ride was REALLY long. Swimming over a mile was only for escaping Alcatraz prisoners (and impossible). I have never been an athletically gifted person. 

I am amazed and proud of what I have accomplished in a few short years. 
This Year I Completed
  • 3 Half Marathons
    • SwampHouse Half Marathon FL
    • Ocala Half Marathon
    • Space Coast Half Marathon
  • 1 Marathon
    • Jacksonville Bank Marathon
  • 4 Half-Ironmans
    • Miami Main 70.3
    • Ironman Miami 70.3
    • RocketMan 70.3
    • HITS Ocala 70.3
  • 2 Century Rides
    • Soles 4 Souls (Cycling) FL 100mi 
    • Champions Ride (Cycling) FL 100mi
  • Started swimming Masters swims three days a week for an average of 7 miles swimming a week.
  • I now weigh the same as when I left high school in mid 1990's!! (sometimes less).
  • Blogged a world record number of spelling errors and grammar issues!!
2013 Total Race Distance: 346.7 miles

In 4 past years I have completed:
  • 21 Half marathons
  • 12 Half Ironmans
  • 105 Laps a Lucky's Lake Open Water Swim (105 km)
  • 3 Century Cycling Race
  • 2 Metric Century Cycling Races
  • 1 Ultra marathon (30 miles)
  • 1 Marathon
  • 1 30K run (15 miles)
  • 4 Olympic Triathlons
  • 10 5K, 10K, 15K runs (217 miles total)
  • 1 Sprint Triathlons
If my math is right, that means in 4 years of ONLY races (not including training) I have done the following:
  • 82.8 Miles Swimming
  • 1252.6 Miles Cycling
  • 749.4 Miles Running
That is a 2079.8 mile triathlon in races in 4.5 years. That means I have raced 67% of the distance across the United States (Sacramento, CA to Ocean City, MD).

Past Year End Reviews


  1. Another awesome year to be proud of Kevin. Way to go!

  2. WOW. Just WOW. This gives me inspiration, because I had hoped to accomplish a lot more before 40, and I'm already losing steam. But you are, you know, over 40, right? So maybe there is (race) life after 40 ;) I tease, I tease...