Tuesday, November 12, 2013

2013 Miami Man 70.3 Race Review

2013 Miami Man 70.3 Race Review

(IMAGE SOUCE)


Sunday marked the end of the 2013 triathlon season for me and what a race to go out with.  Miami Man 70.3 is constantly setting the bar very high.  It is a great race in all aspects. 


Cool Race Bibs

I’ve participated in Miami Man for over three years now and each year I am amazed at how great a race it is. 

Pre-Race nutrition

Goodie Bag
Miami Man’s goodie bag puts all other races to shame.  The following race themed items were in the Miami Man goodie bag.

  • Beer pint glass
  • Race Visor
  • Sunglasses
  • Beer pad
  • Pen
  • Mouse pad
  • Keychain
  • Water bottle
  • Travel bag tag
  • Mouse Pad
  • Running belt
  • Electrolyte fizz
  • Cool fish race cap
  • Tech T-shirt with the race’s names on back
  • Very nice full color athlete manual
  • Powerbar performance energy blend

Compare that to the Miami Ironman 70.3 race good bag which had ONLY a tech T-Shirt.

Race Goodie Bag


My only complaint is in previous years the bags included a themed race, hand towel which I bring to every race.  This year’s bag did not include the hand towel :-(  I will miss that towel but how can you complain when you see everything else that was included in the bag!


Good Bag Item Table



Good Bag Item Table

Aid Stations
The aid stations were all adequately staffed with great and friendly volunteers. Each aid station had water, Cytomax, Hammer Gel, Power Bars, banana s and oranges.  Most had ice also.

After Race Meal
The after race meal was impressive and consisted of oranges, watermelon, chicken and rice, pizza, bagels, water, soda, Cytomax and Muscle Milk.  To my disappointment they ran out of pizza when I finished but they did have more being delivered.


Awesome Fish Race Caps!!

Swim Course
The swim takes place in a crystal clear lake.  It is a two loop course where you have to get out of the water and run back in for the second loop.  There are plenty of swim waves so people are not pilling up on top of each other.  There are also plenty of buoys setup for sighting.  It is a great swim. 

Bike Course
The bike course takes you through the surrounding farmland areas of Miami-Dade County.  The 70.3 consists of a 13 miles outing, 2-15 mile loops and then returns on the same route.  The course has three aid stations.    The course is very flat but always windy with 10-20 mph winds.  I think the bike course was about 2-3 miles short.

Run Course
The run course takes you paved and some hard packed dirt roads.  It also takes directly through the Miami Zoo where you get to see various animal exhibits.  It’s pretty cool seeing all the animals on the run.  The run course is always hot but what else would you expect… it’s Miami.


Bonnie getting her race tattoos.
(I hate getting these things off)


Overall Race Grade A
This is an awesome, well run race!!    I highly recommend this race!!  No complaints!!

My Swim Results
Time:  00:32:51 (0:27:22 min/mile)


They provide instant printed results as you cross the finish line .
I don't understand why other race directors don't
do this!!

 

The swim was AWESOME for me.  I broke my swim PR again and placed 6th of 61 in my category!!  I could have done even better if I did not swim off course on the second lap. 

Time: 0:32:51
Pace: 0:27:22 min/mile
Category Place: 6 of 61
Overall Place: 57 of 587
Gender Place: 46 of 412
Category Percentile: +92
Overall Percentile: +90
Gender Percentile: +89

 My Bike Results
Time: 2:46:53

I fought the 20 mph winds and averaged 20.13 mph. 

Time: 2:46:53
Speed: 20.13 mph
Category Place: 29 of 61
Overall Place: 184 of 587
Gender Place: 158 of 412
Category Percentile: +53
Overall Percentile: +69
Gender Percentile: +62

 My Run
Time: 2:25:13
This was not my best run at all.  My stomach was turning upside down on the run.  I was clearly not recovered from the Miami 70.3 of two weeks ago.  I also did not get enough fluids on the bike.  The heat on the run was brutal.

Time: 2:25:13
Pace: 11:05 min/mile
Category Place: 27 of 61
Overall Place: 244 of 587
Gender Place: 171 of 412
Category Percentile: +57
Overall Percentile: +59
Gender Percentile: +59

Overall:  05:51:08

Even with my crappy run, I was able to break the six hour mark.  I’m happy considering I had Ironman Miami 70.3 two weeks ago and also volunteered at Ironman Florida last week (12 hours of driving).


Previous Year Race Comparison
(Click to enlarge)


Pre & Post Race Cuban Meal
(A must do in Miami)
 
 
PREVIOUS RACE REVIEWS
Miami Man 2011 Review
 
 
Cool Race Shirts
(All racer names are in the #10)


 
The Super Bling
(with rhinestones)

2 comments: