Space Coast Marathon and Half Marathon 2010 Review
UPDATE: See my race photos HERE.
The Space Coast Marathon & Half Marathon is located only a few miles from the Kennedy Space Center. The Kennedy Space Center manages and operates America's astronaut launch facilities. This is were all the famous US space missions flew out of (Apolo, Mercury, Gemini, Challenger and all the space shuttle missions).
|Astronaut and Me|
|I Dream of Jeannie|
|I Dream of Jeannie|
|Parrothead Club (Jimmy Buffett)|
|Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker|
|Kennedy Space Coast Visitor Complex|
• Start the race to the roar of a Space Shuttle countdown and Liftoff on a Jumbo-tron
• Awesome “Astronaut” Medals
• Electronic “Space” Certificate to all finishers
• Expo and Pre-Race Dinner at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex! With Guest speakers
• Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Discount Coupon
• “Space” Props along course and at finish line area
• “Space” Themed Water/Aid Stations all along course
• Volunteers in NASA-like uniforms and hats
• “Space” Photo opportunity with astronauts
• Opportunity to win tickets to "Astronaut Training Experience (ATX)" plus Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex admission for two people
• Official long sleeve technical T-shirt (moisture wicking non-cotton)
• Large Beach towels with race logo (instead of Mylar blankets)
• Set a PR with this year’s Pace Teams!
• A full Pancake, Egg & Sausage Breakfast and Pizza
• Race Pacer Teams
• Awards for the best space costume
The race started at 6:15 am on Sunday morning. We stayed at a local hotel that the race directors suggested. Two busses were set to the local sponsored hotels to transport the race participants to the race location. Later after the race those same busses ran till about 1:30 pm to transport the race participants back to their hotels. This was a very nice perk because it would have been hard to park in the small race area.
Prior to the race many of the Marathon Maniacs and Half Fanatics agreed to get together and do a group photo. There were about 2 dozen of us who showed up and everyone was really cool and humble. They are a great group of people. Thank you Dave Mari for all the great photos. It was really cool meeting you and I hope to see you again soon.
|Marathon Maniacs and Half Fanatics|
|Mr Half TRIing|
|Typical Race View|
I have no complaints about this race. I would grade the race a B+. It does not get an A for the following reasons:
• Many of the aid stations were ran buy teenage kids who started to not care about cheering or handing out water efficiently for many of the mid to late in the pack marathoners
• The aid stations had only the basics: Water, Gateraid and GUs I have been to may much smaller races where the aid stations were better supplied
• No race day pickup. This caused many people to have to arrive the day before to pickup the packets. It was a minor inconvenience for some people.
• The expo for such a highly attended race was very small.
Overall I would highly recommend this race. It was fun and well run
I did not race this race. I ran it as a training run. My overall time was 2:07:47. My hips were really stiff from riding the Horrible Hundred century the prior week. I just wanted to run the race and have fun. I did not really care what my time was.
I also got to meet up with fellow Central Florida blogger Kitzzy Life Style Change. She is a friend of Bonnie and a great runner.
|Kitzzy Life Style Change and Mr Half TRIing|
|Bonnie and I|
|Look Mom I'm on the moon|